Flynn, Py & Kruse
“...Service based on traditional values combined with contemporary thinking...�

When a homeowner needs Medicaid to move to a nursing home

Moving into a nursing home or assisted living facility in Ohio typically means leaving your old home permanently. What happens to your house if you are a Medicaid recipient depends on a number of factors. At Flynn, Py & Kruze, we understand how to address each aspect of home ownership when applying for Medicaid to move to a long-term care facility.

According to the Ohio State Bar Association, when you move out of your house and into a nursing home, you are not necessarily leaving your property vacant. You may have a spouse, an adult child or a roommate who shares the house with you. If the person who remains in the home is your spouse, the home is exempt. You do not have to worry about the state forcing your spouse to sell it, or putting a lien on it. It is a good idea, though, to take your own name off the title and have only your spouse's name on it.

If you are not married, but your minor child or child with disabilities or blindness lives in the home, Medicaid does not consider the real estate to be a countable resource when you apply. You do not have to sell the home, and your child can stay in it. However, your adult child who is not disabled or blind cannot stay in the house except under certain circumstances, even if he or she has been living there for a year or more. In fact, unless you can show that your adult child took care of you so that your move to a nursing home was put off for at least two years, you may not be able to transfer the home to that child.

Many people live with a sibling when they get older, and if your sibling has lived with you for at least a year and has equity in your house, then you may transfer the property to him or her. While equity could mean actual interest in the real estate, it could also refer to paying taxes or insurance, or contributing to the home's upkeep.

In most other situations, you may be required to sell the home at some point after you transition to long-term care. More information about planning for a move to a nursing home can be found on our webpage.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Sandusky Office
165 East Washington Row
Sandusky, OH 44870

Phone: 419-504-0052
Phone: 419-625-8324
Fax: 419-625-9007
Sandusky Law Office Map

Port Clinton Office
115 West Perry Street
Port Clinton, OH 43452

Phone: 419-504-0052
Phone: 419-734-3174
Fax: 419-734-3175
Port Clinton Law Office Map

165 East Washington Row Sandusky OH 44870
115 West Perry Street Port Clinton OH 43452
To schedule a consultation with a lawyer regarding your legal matter, call Flynn, Py & Kruse at 419-625-8324 or contact the firm using the contact form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy