Flynn, Py & Kruse
“...Service based on traditional values combined with contemporary thinking...�

Protect your disabled child with a special needs trust

If you are the Ohio parent of a special needs child or adult, you have unique estate planning needs that probably differ broadly from those of your friends or family members. In addition to leaving your son or daughter assets you have worked hard to secure in your life, you must also consider factors such as who is to care for your child once you are no longer able to do so. At Flynn, Py & Kruse, we understand the estate planning needs of parents who have disabled children, and we have helped many clients orchestrate solid plans for the future.

Per CNBC, many special needs children and adults utilize federal benefit programs, such as Medicaid or Supplemental Security Income, to provide for themselves and help offset the costs associated with care. If you leave your disabled child assets in a traditional will, however, doing so has the potential to impact your child’s public benefits eligibility. How?

Anyone who receives public assistance through these programs must first pass a means test to determine need. Depending on how much you leave your special needs child in your will, the amount may place your child above the threshold needed to retain public assistance. Leaving assets to your child in a special needs trust, however, alleviates this concern.

Assets you leave your child in a special needs trust do not factor in during public benefits means testing, meaning creating a trust is one way you can provide for your child’s future without having to sacrifice public assistance. As an added bonus, assets you leave in the trust are not the direct property of your child, which means, should your child pass on, they can go to charity, other family members or what have you, rather than to Medicaid reimbursement. More about special needs estate planning is available on our web page.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Sandusky Office
165 East Washington Row
Sandusky, OH 44870

Phone: 419-504-0052
Phone: 419-625-8324
Fax: 419-625-9007
Sandusky Law Office Map

Port Clinton Office
115 West Perry Street
Port Clinton, OH 43452

Phone: 419-504-0052
Phone: 419-734-3174
Fax: 419-734-3175
Port Clinton Law Office Map

165 East Washington Row Sandusky OH 44870
115 West Perry Street Port Clinton OH 43452
To schedule a consultation with a lawyer regarding your legal matter, call Flynn, Py & Kruse at 419-625-8324 or contact the firm using the contact form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy